Togo to Invest CFA3.1 Billion in its Shea Sector in 2024-2028

Wednesday, 26 July 2023 09:27
Togo to Invest CFA3.1 Billion in its Shea Sector in 2024-2028

(Togo First) - From 2024 to 2028, Togo plans to invest CFA3.1 billion in its shea sector. According to the related investment plan, the money will be spent on boosting output (through sustainable management as well as tree planting), professionalizing the sector, creating value through quality improvement, making products and sub-products, and research and development. 

The plan, which was adopted in May this year, should mainly be backed by the financial technical partners or FTPs and the State, and the CIFKAT, which is the local organization regrouping professionals in the sector. The FTPs and the State will provide CFA2.58 billion and CFA800 million, respectively. The last CFA133 million will come from the CIKFAT.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture, which adopted the plan alongside the CIKFAT, Togo produced slightly more than 40,000 t of shea nuts in 2018. This breaks down into about 2,500 t for the Savanes region, 17,500 t and 13,000 t for the Kara and Central regions, and nearly 8,000 t for the Plateaux region. 

Togo is the seventh biggest shea producer in the world. The country contribute 5% of West Africa’s shea exports, according to the latest data. In Togo, 84.9% of the actors working in the sector are women and the rest, 15.1%, are men. Age-wise, 48.5% of the actors are less than 40, 43.5% are between 40 and 60, and the last 8% are over 60 years old. 

Ayi Renaud Dossavi

To contact us: c o n t a c t [@] t o g o f i r s t . c o m

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.