President Gnassingbe inaugurates the Kekeli Efficient Power thermal plant

Tuesday, 27 April 2021 14:07
President Gnassingbe inaugurates the Kekeli Efficient Power thermal plant

(Togo First) - On April 26, President Faure Gnassingbe cut the ribbon on the Kekeli Efficient Power plant, three days behind the initially scheduled date. 

The ceremony marks the industrial launching of the first production phase of the project, under which 47 MW will be generated (open cycle). 

df742b6e645a05cf148e11581e64d9 L

In effect, a 47 MW gas turbine (Siemens SGT-800) was started yesterday. A second turbine, the SST-200 steam turbine with an output capacity of 18 MW should be operational by the end of the year, thus enabling the plant to run at full capacity, generating 65 MW. 

Kekeli Efficient Power is a joint venture between Eranove group, which holds a 75% stake in the infrastructure, and the Togolese State which detains the remaining 25% via Kifema Capital, an investment vehicle -controlled by Togo Invest, a State holding -  whose shareholding includes the CNSS, the INAM, and the CCIT. 

Overall, the plant is estimated to have cost CFA85 billion, 75% of which (CFA67 billion) is debt. The financing was raised mainly through pan-African financial institutions led by the West African Development Bank (BOAD) and Oragroup.  

According to Marc Albérola, Managing Director at Eranove Group, “The Kékéli Efficient Power plant perfectly translates Eranove’s model recommended to tackle the issue of access to power in Africa: a robust and balanced public-private partnership that spans 25 years and which involves the State of Togo and renowned international players such as the German group Siemens (who supplied the turbines) and the Spanish TSK (who built the plant).”

For her part, the Togolese minister for energy and mines, Mila Aziablé said, “this plant represents a significant evolution, regarding energy transition in Togo, towards a more sustainable and inclusive model.”

In the long run, the plant will produce 532GWh yearly, supplying power to over 250,000 Togolese households or more than 1.5 million people. Also, it should raise Togo’s production capacity by 50%. 

Klétus Situ

To contact us: c o n t a c t [@] t o g o f i r s t . c o m

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.