Togo launches 5th general population and housing census

Public Management
Wednesday, 16 December 2020 13:38
Togo launches 5th general population and housing census

(Togo First) - On December 15, 2020, Togo officially launched in Lomé the fifth general population and housing census (RGPH-5). The operation will update demographic and human data collected in the last census carried out in 2010. 

The ceremony for the signing of the document related to the project took place in the presence of representatives of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA). This body leads Togo’s partners engaged in the project. However, the RGPH-5 is steered by the National Institute for Statistics, Economic and Demographic Studies (INSEED). 

In effect, the census will “provide the indicators needed to monitor and evaluate national and international agenda,” including “the implementation of the National Development Plan (NDP), the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the African Union's 2063 Agenda, the analysis and exploitation of the demographic dividend and the process of decentralization and local development (...),” said Togo’s minister of finance, Sani Yaya. 

The project should cost nearly CFA8.7 billion, 40% of which were mobilized by the country. Lomé is reaching out to its partners (including the UNFPA, first) to get the remaining 60% of the financing needed, thus CFA5.17 billion. 

The census should last three years. 

Ayi Renaud Dossavi

To contact us: c o n t a c t [@] t o g o f i r s t . c o m

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.